13022017-TTC-01.qxd 2/13/2017 1:15 AM Page 1 13 established in 1881 monday, february 13, 2017 chandigarh | gurgaon | jalandhar | bathinda | jammu | srinagar | www.tribuneindia.com | vol. 137 no. 43 | 20 pages | ~4.50 | regd. no. chd/0006/2015-2017 Eye on Venus, Mars, ISRO bids for record Bengaluru, February 12 India will boldly go to Venus for the first time and re-visit the Red Planet very soon. This uplifting news comes ahead of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) attempting to undertake its mega launch, where it will drop off into space not one, two or three but a full load of 104 satellites in space in a single mission. No other country has ever tried to hit a century in a single mission. The last world record is held by Russia, which in 2014 rocketed 37 satellites in a single launch using a modified inter-continental ballistic missile. If all goes according to plan, on the morning of February 15, ISRO will hurl into space using the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) three Indian satellites and 101 small foreign satellites. India is hoping to better the previous world record by a whopping two-and-a-half times. ISRO, considered the new kid on the block in the multi-billion dollar world launcher market, hopes to set an enviable benchmark for the space fairing nations. The government, it seems, is rather pleased with the Indian space agency as Finance Minister Arun Jaitley gave the Department of Space a whopping 23 per cent increase in its budget. Under the space sciences section, the budget mentions provisions “for Mars Orbiter Mission II and Mission to Venus”. The second mission to Mars is tentatively slated for 202122 and may well involve putting a robot on the surface of the Red Planet. While India’s first mission to Mars in 2013 was a purely Indian mission, the French space agency wants to collaborate in making the Mars rover. — PTI Sasi battles it out as OPS support grows World champions Elated members of the Indian cricket team celebrate after winning the Second World T20 Blind Cricket Trophy by beating Pakistan at Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru on Sunday. The Indian team won by nine wickets. PTI PAGE 15 Chennai, February12 movement nor their freedom Struggling to keep her flock of expression had been hinof MLAs together after dered and asked the journaldesertion by 10 MPs to rival ists to “see it for yourselves.” O Panneerselvam camp, “They are in touch with their AIADMK general secretary families over phone,” she said. VK Sasikala today trashed Addressing the MLAs at the allegation they have been resort, which she visited the held “hostage” at a resort. second time in two days, she Sasikala, locked in a fierce said, “You 129 MLAs are like battle of attrition an ocean. None can with caretaker CM contain it by buildPanneerselvam, ing a check dam. said the MLAs were None can hurt us, staying at the resort our party and there near here “of their is no need to fear.” own accord”. She turned mistyVK Sasikala Panneerselvam, eyed while referring however, claimed to her mentor the the MLAs were held against late J Jayalalithaa and vowed their will and “tortured” and to protect the party nurtured sought their “release”. by her long-time friend: “I Addressing reporters at the will give my life for this resort, Sasikala alleged that cause.” Panneerselvam hit those who had defected and back: “Sasikala is shedding political rivals were “spread- crocodile tears. The MLAs ing falsehood” that the MLAs should be allowed to go home were being held hostage. She if they are free.” — PTI Kin getting threats: Sasi p7 insisted neither their free 2 soldiers, 4 ultras die in gunfight Nabhajailbreakmastermind, Clashes erupt in South Kashmir as civilian shot in crossfire; one dead, 24 injured Suhail A Shah & Majid Jahangir Tribune News Service Anantnag/Srinagar, Feb 12 Two soldiers, four militants and a civilian were killed in a gunfight in South Kashmir’s Kulgam district today, triggering clashes in Kulgam and Anantnag that left one dead and more than 24 injured. Three Armymen, including a Major, were injured in the encounter. The deceased Army men were identified as Lance Naik Bhandoriya Gopal Singh, 33, and Sepoy Raghubeer Singh, 31. Acting on a tip-off, teams of the Army and J&K Police cordoned a cluster of houses at Nagbal Frisal, Kulgam, 55 Lance Naik B Gopal Singh from Ahmedabad, Gujarat Sepoy Raghubeer Singh from Chamoli in Uttarakhand km from Srinagar. “The teams searched a house twice but found nobody there. The third time, militants hiding inside opened fire, killing two soldiers and a civilian,” DGP Shesh Paul Vaid said. Ashiq Reshi, 40, son of house owner Abdul Majeed, was also killed. The DIG, South Kashmir Range, SP Pani, said four militants, two from HizbulMujahideen and two from Lashkar-e-Toiba, were killed. “All of them hailed from Kulgam district. One of them had been missing since January 14. Three militants escaped.” While the Army claimed Satyarthi’s Nobel replica found; Elections to one seat each in 3 history-sheeter brothers held UP, U’khand countermanded New Delhi: Three persons have been arrested in connection with the theft of Nobel replica and other valuables from Nobel laureate Kailash Satyarthi’s Kalkaji residence. While the stolen items have been recovered, the citation that was stolen has not been found yet. The three accused brothers, Rajan alias Natta (25), Vinod (35) and Sunil (28), have had previous involvements in burglary and robbery cases. TNS New Delhi: Elections to one constituency each in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand were postponed on Sunday following the death of candidates. The Election Commission said following the death of SP candidate Chandrashekhar of Alapur constituency in UP, the election had been postponed. Similarly, due to death of BSP candidate Kuldeep Singh in a road accident, the election to Karnaprayag seat had been countermanded. The polls in both the places were to be held on February 15. As per law, if candidates of recognised party die, election is countermanded and party is given time to field a new candidate and polling fixed for new date. PTI Panel on doubling farmer income mulls key reforms Central report by April; focus on profit-centric approach Hyderabad, February 12 A committee formed by the Centre to double farmers’ income by 2022 is considering major reforms in the agriculture sector like adopting a profit-centric approach, aiming at higher productivity and reducing cost of cultivation. The inter-ministerial panel, constituted in April last year, is also looking at suggesting market reforms in a big way and increasing focus on subsectors like animal husbandry, poultry and fisheries. “What we (are) really looking at is to recommend strategies that would be practical in nature and would help both the governments at the national level and state level, and also down the line, to adopt prac- tices which are very practical in doubling the income of farmers,” committee chairman Ashok Dalwai said. The committee would submit its report by April, said Dalwai, who is Additional Secretary in the Union Ministry of Agriculture. Noting that majority of farmers in the country are small and marginal, he said making farming viable is the “biggest challenge”. The principle of profit generation in agriculture comes from looking at what is the gross output and what is the cost of cultivation, he said. “Gross output approach so far has been to increase production at any cost. But we would like to increase pro- duction on a sustainable basis such that resources are not compromised, in all crops, all commodities and all sub-sectors of agriculture. So, the gross output in terms of value to farmer,” he said. The post-harvest management, involving how the commodity is stored, transported and marketed assumes enormous importance, he said. “Considering that consumption patterns are changing today, people are now going for high-value crops like meat, milk, egg and fruits and vegetables... the farmers can produce those things. It has to be a market-led, demand-driven approach. This is what the committee is looking at,” he said. continued on page 7 Today’s issue is of 20 pages, including four-page Jalandhar Tribune. the civilian was taken hostage by the militants, the locals claimed he was used by the soldiers as a shield. “The operation was halted following inputs that a civilian was trapped inside. We tried to rescue him, asking the village elders to use the public address system to urge him to come out, but he didn’t,” explained Brig R Chakravarty, Commanding Officer, Sector-1, Rashtriya Rifles. “At 5.30 am, we entered the house. The civilian tried to flee. But the militants opened fire, killing him as well as two jawans,” he said. Locals and the family of the slain civilian refuted the Army claim. “Abdul Majeed and his sons Ashiq and Muhammad Shafi were taken into custody after the village was cordoned. The Army personnel took Ashiq along as they entered the house. He and two soldiers were killed in cross-firing,” they said. Ashiq’s killing triggered fierce clashes in Kulgam and Anantnag. Mushtaq Ibrahim (22) of Anantnag was killed and more than 24 were injured. Sixteen sustained bullet injuries. The separatists have called for a shutdown on February 13 and “Kulgam Chalo” on February 15 against the killing of civilians. The slain militants were identified as Mudassir Tantrey, Wakeel Thokar, Farooq Ahmed Bhat and Mohd Younis Lone. related report page 11 3 accomplices held in Moga Kulwinder Sandhu Tribune News Service Moga, February 12 The Nabha jailbreak mastermind, gangster Gurpreet Singh Sekhon, and his three accomplices were today arrested by the police after a brief encounter at Dhudike village in Moga district. A special team of the counter-Intelligence wing and the Patiala and Moga police took part in the operation that lasted two hours. Sekhon (29), who escaped from Nabha jail on November 27 last year with five others, is facing 13 cases of murder and attempt to murder. A confidant of gangster Vicky Gounder, Sekhon was arrest- Gurpreet Singh Sekhon ed in March 2015 in connection with a murder case. The main accused in the murder of gangster Sukha Kahlwan, he was first booked in 2007 under the Arms Act after which he joined hands with the Jaipal gang and later formed his own gang. Sekhon, a resident of Mud- ki village in Ferozepur, belongs to an affluent family which owns 45 acres of land and brick-kilns. Incharge of counter-Intelligence team Gurmeet Chauhan, AIG, said Sekhon had been nabbed along with Manveer Sekhon alias Mani Sekhon, Rajwinder Raja alias Sultan of Mangewala village (Moga) and Kulwinder Singh alias Dhimbri of Sidana village. The Nabha jailbreak was reportedly planned in Rajwinder Raja’s house at Mangewala village in Moga. Chauhan said, acting on a tip-off, the police raided a hideout at Dhudike village. continued on page 7 His source of guns page 2
The Tribune, now published from Chandigarh, started publication on February 2, 1881, in Lahore (now in Pakistan). It was started by Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, a public-spirited philanthropist, and is run by a trust comprising four eminent persons as trustees.
The Tribune, the largest selling daily in North India, publishes news and views without any bias or prejudice of any kind. Restraint and moderation, rather than agitational language and partisanship, are the hallmarks of the paper. It is an independent newspaper in the real sense of the term.
The English edition apart, the 133-year-old Tribune has two sister publications, Punjabi Tribune (in Punjabi) and Dainik Tribune (in Hindi).