01022018-TTC-01.qxd 3/1/2018 1:18 AM Page 1 13 established in 1881 thursday, march 1, 2018 chandigarh | gurugram | jalandhar | bathinda | jammu | srinagar | www.tribuneindia.com | vol. 2 no. 59 | 20 pages | ~4.50 | regd. no. chd/0006/2018-2020 /thetribunechd CBI arrests Chidambaram Jr /thetribunechd In it together INX CASE Probe agency gets day’s custody; Karti cries political vendetta New Delhi, February 28 Karti Chidambaram, arrested in connection with the INX Media case, was today sent to one-day CBI custody by a Delhi court after the agency claimed his custodial interrogation was needed to unearth the conspiracy over alleged payment of $1 million bribe to him by the media company. The fresh evidence, which triggered the arrest of Karti, son of senior Congress leader P Chidambaram, was based on the statement of Indrani Mukerjea, ex-director of INX Media (P) Ltd, who recorded it before a magistrate on February 17. Karti (46), who was arrested this morning at Chennai airport soon after he returned from the UK, was brought to Delhi and produced before a duty magistrate here. The CBI sought his custodial interrogation for 15 days, Karti Chidambaram waves at Patiala House. MUKESH AGGARWAL but duty magistrate Sumeet Anand granted a day’s custody, making it clear that Karti has to be produced before the special judge concerned tomorrow at 2.30 pm. While Karti produced at 4.50 pm, the special judge had left after around 4.30 pm. CBI prosecutor VK Sharma told the court that “Indrani told the magistrate that in a meeting she and her husband Peter Mukerjea had with Karti, he demanded $1 million. It was later paid by Peter through off-shore entities”. The CBI claimed “this was done to fix violations in Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) clearance”. The prosecutor said Karti needed to be quizzed to unearth the “total conspira- cy” and claimed he was not cooperating and was repeatedly travelling abroad, which “confirmed apprehensions” that “he will flee” from India. Senior advocate Abhishek Manu Singhvi, appearing for Karti, said it was a “bizzare” case. He argued that Karti was summoned by the CBI on August 23 and 28 last year and was interrogated for 22 hours. “There are no reasons given for the arrest. It is because you (CBI) want to show to your bosses that you are doing some work. I (Karti) am not a fugitive… Unlike others, I am not ‘Hindustan leaver’ and instead I am ‘Hindustan returner’.” When Karti was brought to the Patiala House court premises, he told waiting scribes, “It’s absolutely political vendetta. I will be vindicated.” — PTI/TNS Cong, BJP reactions P7 Mumbai showed why it’s the home of Bollywood on Wednesday as people in hordes filled the streets to bid farewell to actor Sridevi. The funeral procession was the biggest Mumbai had seen for a Bollywood star since Rajesh Khanna in 2012. PTI P7 HC stays notification on Atwal row: Canadian MP Nirav refuses to join CBI Gurugram school killing: eligibility norms for NEET quits Liberal party’s post probe, PNB auditor held Bus conductor acquitted New Delhi, February 28 The Delhi High Court today put on hold the operation of a CBSE notification laying down eligibility conditions, including the upper age limit of 25 years and 30 years for general and reserved categories, respectively, to apply for the MBBS course. The order was passed by a Bench of Justices Sanjiv Khanna and Chander Shekhar on several petitions moved by medical aspirants, who are aggrieved by various other eligibility norms, which bar them from applying for the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET)-UG for which the last date for submitting the applications is March 9. Under the CBSE notifica- tion, candidates who have studied in open school, have had biology as an additional subject, have taken more than two years to complete Class 11 and 12 and those who have studied privately are ineligible to apply. The court, while passing its interim order, made it clear that while the candidates are allowed to submit their application for the entrance exam, it does not mean that they can sit for it. The Bench also said students from open school or those who have studied privately should belong to a recognised board in order to apply for the exam. The court said the interim order will continue till the next date of hearing on April 6. — PTI Ottawa/new delhi, Feb 28 Indian-origin Randeep Sarai, a Canadian MP who had invited a convicted Sikh terrorist to a formal dinner during Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s visit to India, has quit as chair of the Liberal party’s Pacific Caucus, taking responsibility for the goof-up, a media report said today. Sarai, 43, had invited Jaspal Atwal, convicted of attempting to assassinate an Indian minister in 1986, to attend a reception at the residence of Canadian High Commissioner Nadir Patel. The invitation was revoked as soon as Atwal’s name was discovered on the guest list. Trudeau met Sarai late yesterday and during the meet- 18-yr jail for 2016 Gurdaspur acid attacker, aide gets 15 yrs Gurdaspur, February 28 A local court today sentenced the prime accused in the 2016 Dera Baba Nanak acid attack case, Sajjan Masih, to 18 years in jail, while handing down a 15-year term to co-accused Lovepreet Singh. The Additional District Sessions Judge (ADSJ), while pronouncing the sentence, acquitted the third accused, Santokh Singh, who had provided acid to the two. On March 16, 2016, Sajjan and Lovepreet threw acid on a group of five schoolgirls, disfiguring the face of one of them and injuring the other four, at Dera Baba Nanak. The incident, which prompted senior border range officers to personally monitor the investigation, occurred when the girls were returning home from Government Senior Secondary School, Singhpura. They were walking to Dharmabad village, a short distance away, after taking their Class 8 Board examination when attacked. The grandfather of one of the girls had earlier asked Sajjan to mend his ways, to which the latter took umbrage. Later, he conspired with Lovepreet and both hatched a plan to harm her. The then SSP Daljinder , Singh Dhillon, had set up a special investigation team to investigate the attack. — TNS Langah ‘rape victim’ turns hostile: ‘Never knew him’ Ravi Dhaliwal Tribune News Service Gurdaspur, February 28 A woman who had earlier claimed she was repeatedly raped by former Akali Dal minister Sucha Singh Langah today turned hostile in a court here. She denied her presence in a video purportedly featuring her in a compromising position with the politician. The video had gone viral ahead of the Gurdaspur parliamentary bypoll last year. The woman recorded her statement in the court of Additional District and Sessions Judge Prem Kumar in the presence of Langah and his battery of lawyers. Sucha Singh Langah arrives at a Gurdaspur court. TRIBUNE PHOTO A widow and government employee, the woman alleged that she had been asked by the police to sign some blank papers, “which were subsequently used to defame me”. The police had acted under the influence of some politicians, and that she never knew Langah, she claimed. DSP (Special Branch) Gurbans Singh Bains, supervising officer in the case, said he would comment only after going through a copy of the victim’s statement. The court has fixed March 12 as the next date of hearing. The bail application of Langah, booked on rape charges on September 29 last year, would come up before the Punjab and Haryana High Court on March 5. Sources said the police, which had been assiduously building up the case against Langah, had been wrong-footed by today’s proceedings. continued on page 7 Today’s issue is of 20 pages, including four-page Jalandhar Tribune. ing, the lawmaker offered to resign, The Star reported. Meanwhile, a day after Trudeau stood by the government official who had blamed India for the fiasco over Atwal’s presence in the Canadian delegation, India responded strongly. On Tuesday, Trudeau had to face tough questions in Parliament on his India visit, that was overshadowed by several controversies. Post the visit, a official reportedly held a background briefing. He was identified by Opposition Conservatives as Daniel Jean, Trudeau’s National Security Adviser. Jean had shifted blame, accusing Indian officials for the protocol fiasco. — TNS/PTI New Delhi, February 28 Billionaire jeweller Nirav Modi has refused to join the CBI investigation in the $2 billion fraud in Punjab National Bank citing his business engagements, prompting the agency to issue a stern letter today asking him to appear before it next week. Meanwhile, the CBI has arrested PNB’s internal chief auditor MK Sharma in connection with the case, officials said, adding that it is first arrest of any auditor of the bank. Sharma, a scale-IV officer, was responsible for auditing the systems and practices of the bank’s Brady House branch — from where Letters of Undertakings (LoUs) were issued — and report the defi- ciencies with the zonal audit office, they said. Meanwhile, in a terse letter, the CBI “directed” Nirav Modi to approach the Indian mission in the country where he is residing so that immediate arrangement can be made for his travel to India. The agency has told him that it is mandatory for the accused to join the investigation whenever they are asked to, they said. The CBI had earlier asked Modi on his official email ID to join the probe related to scam pertaining to fraudulent issuance of the LoUs and Letters of Credit from PNB in Mumbai in favour of his and his uncle Mehul Choksi’s companies. — PTI Now, ~515-cr Canara scam p16 Gurugram, February 28 of the IPC, 25 of Arms Act A special court here today and 12 of Protection of Chilacquitted 44-year-old Ashok dren from Sexual Offences Kumar, the bus conductor of Act for allegedly murdering a private school where a the seven-year-old student in Class 2 student was mur- the washroom of the school dered in September last year. in Bhondsi on Sohna road. Kumar was arrested The case was handas the main accused, ed over to the CBI on but the CBI gave him September 22. It did a clean chit in its prinot find any evidence mary chargesheet against Kumar and filed on February 5. on November 8, took The Special Children a Class 11 student Court of Additional Ashok Kumar (nearly 17 years old) Sessions Judge Jasinto custody. Kumar bir Singh Kundu acquitted got bail on November 21. Kumar and ordered to merge The CBI said the accused the police and CBI FIRs. It murdered the boy just to asked for a final chargesheet defer a test and a scheduled by April 10. parent-teacher meeting. The On September 8, Kumar Juvenile Justice Board later was arrested and booked ordered that the accused be under Section 302 (murder) tried as an adult. — IANS
The Tribune, now published from Chandigarh, started publication on February 2, 1881, in Lahore (now in Pakistan). It was started by Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, a public-spirited philanthropist, and is run by a trust comprising four eminent persons as trustees.
The Tribune, the largest selling daily in North India, publishes news and views without any bias or prejudice of any kind. Restraint and moderation, rather than agitational language and partisanship, are the hallmarks of the paper. It is an independent newspaper in the real sense of the term.
The English edition apart, the 133-year-old Tribune has two sister publications, Punjabi Tribune (in Punjabi) and Dainik Tribune (in Hindi).