26062018-JTR-01.qxd 6/26/2018 1:38 AM Page 1 c m y b TUESDAY | 26 JUNE 2018 | JALANDHAR JALANDHAR TRIBUNE Scheme for farmers Messi debate Making a difference A drive to motivate farmers to adopt a scheme for checking depletion of groundwater will be launched. P2 The legend’s fans hope the dream of Lionel Messi holding the World Cup alive will come true. P3 Actress Evan Rachel Wood says she wants to learn more on issues facing the US and Mexico border. P4 FORECAST MAINLY CLEAR SKY | MAX 41°C MIN 29°C | YESTERDAY MAX 40°C MIN 28°C | SUNSET TUESDAY 7.36 PM SUNRISE WEDNESDAY 5.25 AM Action against 3 MC officials Demolition drive issue rocks meet taken in House meeting Aparna Banerji Tribune News Service Development works worth ~70 crore on the agenda passed Aparna Banerji Tribune News Service Jalandhar, June 25 Two MC officials will be issued show-cause notices while one of them will be suspended – this was declared by Mayor Jagdish Raja, during the MC meeting held in Jalandhar on Monday. Development works worth Rs 70 crore on the MC agenda were also passed during the meeting – which was the second House meeting to be held since the Congress government came to power under MC Mayor Jagdish Raja. The development works passed in the agenda primarily include road, sewerage among other works in the city. Some controversial agenda points discussed in the meeting were also given a go-ahead – including the controversial garbage recycling unit at Wariana and a slaughter house at Gadaipur. Mayor Jagdish Raja declared that building inspector Nirmaljit Verma will be suspended and SDO Saurabh Sharma and JE Shubham will be issued show-cause notices for indiscretions reported against BJP and Congress councillors argue during the MC House meeting in Jalandhar on Monday. SARABJIT SINGH them by two MC councillors. While allegations against Verma included failing to act against illegal buildings in Ward No. 38 and allegations against the SDO and JE included failure to restore sewerage in Ward No. 20 despite repeated complaints. While on Ward No. 38 councillor Omkar Rajiv Tikku’s allegations that building branch officials in his ward had failed to act against three illegal buildings in the ward - building branch inspector Nirmaljit Singh was chargesheeted. Meanwhile, on the complaint of ward No. 20 councillor Jasleen Sethi – that the sewerage complaint in Ward No. 20 on the Abadpura link road had been left unheeded for the past three months, the Mayor said show-cause notices would be issued to the SDO and JE Gang of robbers busted, five held Tribune News Service Jalandhar, June 25 The Jalandhar (rural) police on Monday busted a gang of robbers by arresting its five members who were involved in a recent incident of loot of Rs 4.25 lakh from an employee of a firm dealing in currency exchange at Shahkot. On June 19, Rs 4.25 lakh was looted from Mintu, an employee of Amit Enterprises, Malsian branch. The accused have been identified as Avtar Singh, alias Tari (32), Rakesh Kumar alias Kesha (30), Balwinder Singh alias Raja (34), Harpreet Singh alias TT (32), and Gurvinder Singh alias Sonu (30). After the incident, a special investigation team (SIT), comprising Shahkot Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Dilbagh Singh, inspector Davinder Singh and ASI Rashpal Singh, was constituted to solve the case. Were involved in recent ~4.25-lakh Shahkot heist; accused include three foreign-returned men The complainant, Mintu, had informed the police that he was coming by bus and when he got off the bus, three men, who came on a motorcycle, stood besides him, pushed him and snatched his bag which had the cash. The victim also got injuries as he fell on the spot during the incident. A case under Sections 379B and 323 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) was lodged at the Shahkot police station. Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Gurpreet Singh Bhullar said on a tip-off, the police had arrested two persons, Avtar Singh and Rakesh Kumar. “It was during the preliminary investigation that the arrested persons confessed about their involvement in the robbery and also revealed that their three more accomplices were with them at the time of the crime. He said on the basis of the information provided by them, three more accused namely Balwinder Singh Harpreet Singh and Gurvinder Singh were arrested and the looted amount of Rs 4 lakh was recovered from them. Bhullar said three of the accused, Avtar, Balwinder and Harpreet, had tried to settle abroad in the past. However, they failed to do so and returned after which they started robbing people. The SSP said all accused had a criminal background and were wanted in several cases. He said seven FIRs had been registered against Tari, four against Kesha, three against Raja, two against TT and one against Sonu. named by her. Sethi alleged that despite repeated requests issue of sewerage blockage on the road had not been solved. She said even after the road was cleared of sewage, sometimes the problem remains after hours. She said while residents were complaining to her they had also alleged that the department was charging money Continued on page 2 2 bikers killed in accident Hoshiarpur, June 25 Two youths were killed in an accident that occurred at the Government College chowk here late on Sunday night. The accident occurred as the motorcycle they were riding on collided with an SUV Two . women and two children who were travelling in the four-wheeler, along with the driver, were also injured. As per information, 20year-old Sukhpreet, who hailed from Dhani village in Jalandhar district and was staying with his maternal uncle, came out of his house at 12.15 am to go to a local fair. When he, along with his friend Lovedeep (28), reached near Prabhat Chowk, their bike collided with an SUV . Sukhpreet died on the spot while Lovedeep succumbed to his injuries at Civil Hospital. The occupants of the SUV who were , residents of Jalandhar, were returning from Manikaran to the city. The police have arrested the driver of the SUV Maninderpal , Singh (54). — OC Punjab Roadways employees’ stir cripples life buses, the employees said. The employees had declared to keep all Punjab Roadways bus stands shut across the state on Monday during the strike. Tribune News Service Jalandhar, June 25 It was a tough day for bus passengers who prefer to travel by Punjab Roadways buses. Employees of the Punjab Roadways were on a daylong strike to press for their long-pending demands. The state roadways employees staged a protest rally at the workshop of the local bus stand on Monday due to which its depot wore a deserted look. Both regular and contractual employees of the roadways participated in the strike that was observed on the call given by JAC of the Punjab Roadways. Since the beginning of the year, it was the third strike observed by the roadways employees. Jasbir Singh, General Secretary, Punjab Roadways Jalandhar, said: “The Transport Min- Huge losses Buses parked in the Punjab Roadways depot during the protest in Jalandhar. SARABJIT SINGH istry had always been ignorant towards our demands. Hence, they were left with no other option then to hold strikes.” This time, the employees demanded raise in salaries, regularisation of contractual workers, besides other demands. Jasbir said if any driver or conductor was held for any theft or any other case, hearing was not conducted for three months. Hence, they were forced to remain in the suspension period. In addition, the fulfilment of previous demands were also sought in the strike that includes, implementation of Supreme Court’s ruling of equal work equal pay and 6th Pay Commission recommendations, inclusion of 596 debt-free Pun- Sources revealed the Punjab Roadways faced a loss of Rs 10 lakh from each depot. Meanwhile, students and physically challenged persons were among the worst hit on Monday. Paramjit Singh, a physically challenged person, returned to his home after he was told that roadways employees were on strike. However, GM Parmeet Singh said the consideration of demands put forth by the staff was only limited to the government. Hence, workers should wait until their demands were fulfilled. Another report on page 2 c m y b Jalandhar, June 25 Potent echoes of Sidhu’s demolition drive rocked the MC House meeting on Monday as discrepancies in the building branch functioning led to charge sheet of another building inspector of the Municipal Corporation. Meanwhile, despite having been suspended – due to lack of formal suspension orders which are supposed to be issued against them by the MC – STP Parampal Singh and Monika Anand were present during the meeting. Interestingly, despite being charged for gross irregularities by the minister, even after 12 days after Sidhu’s heated visit, the MC has so far been unable to prepare the report either nailing or absolving them of the corruption charges put against them. After Ward No 38 councillor Omkar Singh’s objections on illegal buildings and statement that the MC should rather be locked up, if action can’t be initiated, the MC remained disrupted for over half-an-hour due to heated arguments which ensued. While Ward No. 10 councillor Mandeep Jassal said the mushrooming of illegal structures was a legacy of the SAD-BJP combine. Taking objection to the statement, Mayor Jagdish Raja discusses a point with an MC employee during the House meeting. PHOTO: SARABJIT SINGH At least three councillors register complaints The demolition drive issue also led to heated arguments and verbal sparring amid councillors on the matter – which at one point of time threatened to disrupt the meeting. At least three councillors during the meeting registered complaints regarding the inactivity or lackadaisical functioning of the building branch and lack of action against illegal buildings in their wards. The building inspector was chargesheeted following one of the complaints. However, on the flip side, the meeting also exposed a slew of corruption complaints against the building branch. Ward No. 2 councillor Sushil Kumar sought to know why was the Congress stopping the action against illegal buildings. Various others councillors also left their chairs, approaching the Mayor to demand action against the illegal buildings. Deputy Mayor Harsimranjit Singh Bunty tried to pacified them saying the Congress was committed to root our corruption happening in the past many years and action will be initiated by the Mayor. Eventually, the warring councillors were pacified by the Mayor as well as Senior Deputy Mayor Surinder Kaur who asked them to sit and initiate normal proceedings. While Ward No. 38 councillor Omkar Rajiv Tikku alleged that building branch officials in his ward had failed to act against three illegal buildings in the ward despite repeated complaints, he said building inspector Nirmaljit Verma had failed to act against the buildings and instead told him he had no trouble with the build- ings. The councillor also alleged residents in the area had told him that some building branch officials had deliberately not acted against the buildings, seeking money. The councillor said while he had also made a formal complaint to the Mayor as well as the MC Commissioner on the issue, no action had so far been taken. Responding to his complaint, the Mayor said Nirmaljit Singh would be charge sheeted. The very first complaint put by Ward No. four councillor Paramjit Singh Reru charged that the building branch had failed to collect the Internal Development Charges deposited by a coloniser of his ward to the branch worth Rs 10 lakh, 19,000. Reru said: “The MC talks of generating revenue. The coloniser had to pay 12 instalments of the charges, of which five have been paid. Rs 60 lakh more remain pending of the remaining instalments. The aforesaid amount was for the sixth. The cheque deposited two months ago is yet to encashed. Despite reminders, the branch has not collected the amount.” Councillor Prabhdayal Bhagat also complained of illegal buildings in his ward. To councillor Aruna Arora’s request for the list of illegal buildings as sought by her, the Mayor said she had already been provided the list.
The Tribune, now published from Chandigarh, started publication on February 2, 1881, in Lahore (now in Pakistan). It was started by Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, a public-spirited philanthropist, and is run by a trust comprising four eminent persons as trustees.
The Tribune, the largest selling daily in North India, publishes news and views without any bias or prejudice of any kind. Restraint and moderation, rather than agitational language and partisanship, are the hallmarks of the paper. It is an independent newspaper in the real sense of the term.
The English edition apart, the 133-year-old Tribune has two sister publications, Punjabi Tribune (in Punjabi) and Dainik Tribune (in Hindi).