12102018-JTR-01.qxd 10/12/2018 1:32 AM Page 1 c m y b FRIDAY | 12 OCTOBER 2018 | JALANDHAR JALANDHAR TRIBUNE Defunct street lights Presenting Punjab’s Elvis Festivities kick-start Defunct street lights on Maqsudan-Kartarpur highway inconvenience commuters. Revisiting the life of Amar Singh Chamkila, Chandigarh boy Kabir stumbles upon Mehsampur. P3 Drashti Dhami and Aditi Sharma seen in traditional white and red saris. P4 FORECAST P2 MAINLY CLEAR SKY | MAX 28.9°C MIN 17.2°C | YESTERDAY MAX 28°C MIN 18°C | SUNSET FRIDAY 6 PM SUNRISE SATURDAY 6.29 AM Works worth crores under PIDB pending for 2 years Aakanksha N Bhardwaj Tribune News Service Jalandhar, October 11 It has been nearly two years now since every constituency of Jalandhar was given an amount of Rs 10 crore each under the Punjab Infrastructure Development Board (PIDB) for various development works, but only a few works have got completed. It was during the previous SAD-BJP regime just ahead of the 2017 Assembly poll that an amount of Rs 10 crore to each of the four constituencies - Jalandhar North, Jalandhar West, Jalandhar Cantonment and Jalandhar Central — was given. Since the poll code got implemented, only a few works could get started. When the Congress government took over, it called back funds of all yet-tobe-started works. The funds were returned about six months ago but somehow the works still remain stuck. Rajinder Beri, MLA Jalandhar Central, has also sent a letter to Mayor Jagdish Raja Only a few works started due to poll code It was during the previous SAD-BJP regime just ahead of the 2017 Assembly poll that an amount of Rs 10 crore to each of the four constituencies - Jalandhar North, Jalandhar West, Jalandhar Cantonment and Jalandhar Central — was given. Since the poll code got implemented, only a few works could get started. When the Congress government took over, it called back funds of all yet-to-be-started works. The funds were returned about six months ago but somehow the works still remain stuck. complaining over the delay in carrying out of various works under the PIDB. Rajinder Beri, In the MLA, Jalandhar complaint Central letter, it has been mentioned by the MLA that the PIDB grant was given, but several works have not been started yet despite tenders were given to the company, which has been given the contract, in April this year. “The works were to be completed in five months, but nothing has been done yet, I want to know the action that has been taken against the contractor,” reads the letter. For the work of interlocking tiles at Datar Nagar, an amount of Rs 20.56 lakh was given under the PIDB and for the maintenance of streets of Gopal Nagar, Rs 9.65 lakh was provided. For the works of laying ready mixed concrete M20 in Central Town, Ward No. 30, an amount of Rs 17.89 lakh was given. While for the works such as construction of streets in Ramesh Colony near RK Book Depot in Ward No. 30 and construction of streets at Kazi Mandi, an amount of Rs 8.04 lakh and Rs 23.86, lakh, respectively, was to be used. But none of these works have been carried out yet, as per the complaint given by Beri. These are the works that have been mentioned in the complaint. Beri while talking to The Tribune said: “In my constituency, works worth Rs 3.5 crore have still not got completed. The works have been allotted for long and same is the situation in other constituencies too.” He said besides, Rs 65 lakh of the grant had received for the installation of street lights but not even a single street light had been installed. Beri said he had sent the complaint letter to the MC Commissioner too. Jalandhar West MLA Sushil Rinku said works worth Rs 3 crore have been pending. Mayor Jagdish Raja said soon the works would be started. “We have done the preparations and the pending works will start soon,” he said. As per the figures, in the PIDB Phase II, of the 224 works allotted under the board, only 56 have got completed till now. Enhanced verification leaves students from Kashmir worried in city Aparna Banerji Tribune News Service Jalandhar, October 11 While the Jalandhar police are yet to determine even the nature of the explosive material found in the raids carried out here in the wee hours of yesterday, the issue has already started to take a political colour with various political parties launching a tirade against the CT Group of Institutions, on whose Shahpur campus, the raid was conducted. Students from the valley are apprehensive after stepping up of student verification and indication of impending action at other ‘probable’ terror links among students in the city. Over 300 Kashmiri students have been studying at various institutions of the CT Group alone. Other private establishments running a chain of institutions in the city, including Lovely Professional University, and St Soldier group also have a sizeable number of students from Kashmir. Sources at the institutions said: “With more stringent verification of out-of-state students ordered by the police, we will now have to be careful as Students on the CT Institute campus in Jalandhar on Thursday. TRIBUNE PHOTO: MALKIAT SINGH we cannot single out Kashmir students. Anti-social elements could be anywhere. It is going to be an uphill task.” While verification were already stepped up at the CT institutions as well, the institute authorities said several students being frisked already raised objections today. Meanwhile, Aadhaar cards of outside-of-state students were also sought for re-verification on the CT campus today. With respect to Kashmir students, due to the unrest in the valley, hundreds of Kashmir students have been directly impacted by the police raids as Punjab had hitherto been considered a safe educational haven by the students from the valley. However, with the students’ arrest and indication of future crackdowns by the police, students said the recent action might change the scenario. A Kashmir student said: “It’s not just about the arrests. It’s also about rumours. Strange connections and labels are being drawn with the arrests. Since yesterday, we are being subjected to uncomfortable stares.” No reason for students to be apprehensive: Bhullar Police Commissioner Gur- preet Singh Bhullar said: “Only students involved in terror activities have been arrested. There is no reason for any of the other students to be apprehensive. We will inform the future course of investigation in due time.” Meanwhile, SAD leader HS Walia today held a press conference declaring that he would move the High Court if proper action is not initiated against the CT Institutions. He questioned how the arms made way into the campus right under the police’s nose. After outcry, differently abled Perched together school students allowed writers Schools acted after issue was highlighted: Activist Aparna Banerji Tribune News Service Jalandhar, October 11 A day after allegations of inconvenience being meted out to specially-abled students during exams in the district, school administrations have made special arrangements for the students to appear for the compartment exams and they were also allowed to sit in the exam with their writers. The Tribune had highlighted yesterday that a specially-abled student, Rayan Harris, had not been allowed to appear for his compartment exam at a school on Tuesday with his writer. However, Rayan appeared for his English compartment exam at the Kendriya Vidyalaya 1 today and he was allowed to take his writer to Vivek Joshi, an activist working for the differently abled, said: “Differently abled students are supposed to be seated separately but earlier, school administrations were not adhering to the guidelines. We also ensured a written permission from the school of Rayan’s writer on Thursday. But the school administrations relented after the issue was highlighted. Otherwise, mostly students’ issues are not taken seriously nor separate seating arrangements are made due to which they suffer a lot.” On Tuesday, a school had denied entry to the writer of Rayan Harris, a student of Class X, into an exam hall in Jalandhar. TRIBUNE PHOTO the hall – who was barred from entering the examination centre on Tuesday. Rayan, who is suffering with impairment in his legs and hands is a Class X student. While a vision-impaired student, Priyanka, was allowed to appear with his writer for her exam on Tuesday, both students, however were seated separately from other students in the examination for which they appeared today. Vivek Joshi, an activist working for the differently abled, said: “Differently abled students are supposed to be seated separately but school administrations were not adhering to the norms earlier. We also ensured a written permission from the school of Rayan’s writer today. But the school administrations relented after the issue was highlighted. Otherwise, mostly students’ issues are not taken seriously nor separate seating arrangements are made due to which they suffer.” On Tuesday, Rayan had said while a writer, a Class VIII student, with a proper affidavit was taken by him to the exam centre, the authorities had insisted on a written permission from the writer’s school principal. Parrots perch atop a wall of a building in Jalandhar making for a splendid view. PHOTO: SARABJIT SINGH In a different role Powerlifters Ramandeep, Ajay left out on award list Supervise Won medals in international championships; feel dejected due to state government procurement, SDMs told Deepkamal Kaur much for myself. All my Tribune News Service Union Minister Vijay Sampla plays the character of King Himavan in Ramlila. TRIBUNE PHOTO REPORT ON P2 Jalandhar, October 11 Two powerlifters from Doaba, who have won medals in international championships, are upset over not having considered their case by the state government in the today’s felicitation ceremony held for state players. Polio-hit Ramandeep Kaur (29), who hails from Ghorewahi village, near Bhogpur, had won two gold medals in the Commonwealth Powerlifting and Benchpress Championship, South Africa, in September 2017. Ramandeep, who contests in the 82-kg category, does not even have a coach to help her in practice. Ajay Gogna of Bholath had won a bronze medal at the Asian Benchpress Championship held in Dubai from September 19 to 24. He had bagged the medal in the Under 120+ Ramandeep Kaur shows her medals in Jalandhar. SARABJIT SINGH Ajay Gogna weight category and the championship was organised by the UAE Powerlifting Federation. Ajay is a five-time national champion in powerlifting. He has won many district and state-level competitions. Both players today rued that with no recognition from the government despite repeated representations, bringing medals for the country seemed to be a useless exercise. testing in regular championships (not for para powerlifters) and winning medals. “Today, I think it was a sheer wasteful exercise to have come so long practicing the game. I have had to pledge all my gold to arrange for money for international events. I had hoped that my medals would bring me recognition, riches and a government job too. But I feel stupid having expected so c m y b “Each time that I have approached Punjab Ministers Rana Gurmeet Sodhi and Navjot Sidhu to show them my medals, they kept telling me that a new sports policy was on the cards and my achievements would be honoured. I kept waiting for an invite for today but it sadly did not come,” says Ramandeep. Despite her handicap, Ramandeep has been con- hopes have dashed today and I am feeling badly dejected,” said Ramandeep, who has won a gold again in the state championship held in Phagwara on September 15 and is gearing up for this year’s nationals in Mumbai from November 8-9. Gogna too expressed disillusionment over his rejection on today’s award list. “I was waiting to be included on the list but nothing came my way,” he said. Amrit Kaur Gill, Director, Sports, Punjab, said: “The award list for the day only included winners of the Commonwealth Games in Australia and Asian Games in Jakarta. We did not include winners of championships. We already had advertised about the same. The players could have contacted us for clarification rather than going to the media now.” Tribune News Service Jalandhar, October 11 Deputy Commissioner Varinder Kumar Sharma said today that the state government, led by Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh, was committed to ensure a smooth and hasslefree procurement of paddy in the ongoing season to facilitate farmers. The Deputy Commissioner, who visited the new grain market to review arrangements made for the procurement of paddy today, said the state government would lift every single grain of paddy in a hassle-free manner during the ongoing procurement season. Sharma said all the SubDivisional Magistrates (SDMs) and chiefs of all six procurement agencies had been asked to personally supervise the procurement process.
The Tribune, now published from Chandigarh, started publication on February 2, 1881, in Lahore (now in Pakistan). It was started by Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, a public-spirited philanthropist, and is run by a trust comprising four eminent persons as trustees.
The Tribune, the largest selling daily in North India, publishes news and views without any bias or prejudice of any kind. Restraint and moderation, rather than agitational language and partisanship, are the hallmarks of the paper. It is an independent newspaper in the real sense of the term.
The English edition apart, the 133-year-old Tribune has two sister publications, Punjabi Tribune (in Punjabi) and Dainik Tribune (in Hindi).