03012019-TTC-01.qxd 03-01-2019 01:32 Page 1 13 chandigarh | gurugram | jalandhar | bathinda | jammu | srinagar | vol.139 no.3 | 26 pages | ~4.50 | regd.no.chd/0006/2018-2020 established in 1881 | thursday, january 3,2019 REJECT INDEPENDENCE, XI TO TAIWAN PAGE 13 COUNCIL TO CONSIDER 5% GST ON UNDER-CONSTRUCTION FLATS PAGE 12 /thetribunechd ! late city MODI MEETS 1984 RIOT SURVIVORS PAGE 16 /thetribunechd www.tribuneindia.com Punjab Cabinet gives approval to Govt, Oppn battle it free smartphones for youth, OTS out over Rafale deal Mandatory transfer of teachers after seven years at one place goes Tribune News Service A file photo of Sachin Tendulkar with guru Ramakant Achrekar. Achrekar, coach who mentored Tendulkar, dead Mumbai, January 2 Dronacharya awardee cricket coach Ramakant Achrekar, credited with shaping the early career of Sachin Tendulkar, died today. He was 87. A family member said he passed away owing to ailments related to old age. built ❝Hestandthe foundation that I on❞ — Sachin “He (Archrekar Sir) is no more with us. He passed away this evening,” his kin Rashmi Dalvi said over the phone. Best known for being the childhood coach of Tendulkar, who has always acknowledged him as his mentor, Achrekar was also a Padma Shri awardee. He also coached players like Vinod Kambli, Pravin Amre, Sameer Dighe and Balwinder Singh Sandhu. — PTI more on page 14 Chandigarh, January 2 With Lok Sabha elections in mind, the Punjab Cabinet today gave its approval to one-time settlement (OTS) of non-compoundable building violations up to June 30, 2018, and smartphones for the youth — 40,000 of them in the first phase — as promised by the Congress during the Assembly poll. To appease teachers, who have been on the warpath, the government did away with mandatory transfer after seven years of service in a zone/school. Also, a transfer request can now be made after a year instead of a minimum three years at one posting. The online transfer policy comes into effect from the 2019-2020 academic session. Regarding the OTS, Navjot Singh Sidhu, Local Government Minister, said the government aimed at mopping up Rs 700 crore as revenue. The Cabinet approved the promulgation of ‘The Punjab One-Time Voluntary Disclosure and Settlement of Violations of the Buildings Ordinance, EYING HOME OWNERS ■ One-time settlement (OTS) of non-compoundable building violations ■ Fee for regularising violations cut, FAR up, procedure made less tedious WOOING YOUTH ■ Unauthorised buildings ■ 40,000 students graduhave to adhere to parking, ating from government fire & safety standards institutions to get ■ The govt aims to mop up a smartphones revenue of ~700 crore ■ They will submit self-certithrough the scheme fied affidavits, saying they don't own a smartphone ■ Will get one-time bundled 12 GB data, 600 local minutes talk time, 1 yr validity ■ In all, three lakh phones to be distributed, costing the exchequer ~90 crore APPEASING TEACHERS ■ Transfer after seven years of service in zone/school scrapped ■ A transfer request can now be made after a year of posting ■ Online transfer policy comes into effect from 2019-2020 session ■ Teachers, who form a chunk of votes, have been on the warpath 2018'. Ministers representing urban constituencies had opposed the draft of the scheme prepared by the Local Government last year. “After deliberations with my Cabinet colleagues and other stake-holders, the fee for regularising the violations has been reduced, the floor area ratio (FAR) increased and the procedure made less tedious. It would be ensured that unauthorised buildings adhere to the parking, fire and safety standards across the state”, Sidhu said. The Cabinet approved the modalities for the distribution of smartphones with 40,000 students graduating from government colleges and technical institutions to be covered in the first phase, costing the exchequer Rs 10 crore. The beneficiaries would be required to submit self-certified affidavits, stating that they do not own a smartphone. They would be provided a one-time bundled 12 GB data and 600 local minutes talk time (voice) with a one-year validity. The vendor to implement the scheme shall be selected through the bidding process for which the tender document has already been floated by the Punjab Information and Communication Technology Corporation. Vendors shall be on board within a period of about two months and the first batch of phones is expected to be distributed in March. The Cabinet authorised the CM to finalise the name of the scheme. more on page 2 Rahul questions jet’s pricing, Jaitley rejects JPC probe Ajay Banerjee Tribune News Service New Delhi, January 2 The Congress and the BJP traded accusations, questioned each other on wisdom, intent and integrity while history of defence deals, including Bofors, got cited in the Lok Sabha today. Discussing “issues relating to the Rafale deal”, Congress president Rahul Gandhi raised questions over the process, pricing and patronage as regards the deal. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley countered saying word spoken on Rafale in the past six months, including in this House, is false. “It is unprecedented the way he (Rahul Gandhi) takes liberty with the truth. It is a tragedy that the Congress, which has been headed by legends, is now headed by a person who does not understand what a combat plane is.” Jaitley rejected the demand for a JPC saying when the Supreme Court had adjudicated the matter, there was no need for the JPC. Prime Minister Narendra Modi was not present in the House. Gandhi said: “The IAF I thought ‘daal me kala ❝yahan to puri daal hikuchhai’ hai, par kali (I thought there was some wrongdoing, but nothing is right here). We demand JPC. It will bring out the truth. Modiji bypassed processes, contract was snatched fromHAL. Rahul Gandhi, CONG CHIEF ❝ There are some who understand money, but don’t understand issues connected with national security... This (JPC probe) is being sought by those who represent the legacy of Bofors to indulge in another fraud. Arun Jaitley, FINANCE MINISTER (Indian Air Force) wanted 126 planes, why 36 were decided. Who changed the requirement? Did the IAF request it?” Yesterday, in his televised interview, the PM said no one was questioning him on Rafale. The entire country is raising fingers and accusing you Modi ji.” The price of the plane was Rs 520 crore when it was negotiated by the UPA, however, the BJP craved out a deal for Rs 1,600 a plane, he said. “Was the price of Rs 1,600 crore not objected to by the MoD (Ministry of Defence ) officials,” he said. “Why did you give this con- tract to your dear friend Anil Ambani,” he said. He asked for the Speaker’s permission to play a tape that he claimed was a discussion between Goa CM (former Defence Minister) Manohar Parrikar and his Cabinet colleagues. He said Parrikar claimed to have a file on Rafale with him. Jaitley reminded the Speaker that Rahul Gandhi would have to authenticate the tape and face privilege proceedings in case it turned out to be fake. Gandhi then backed down and agreed to the Speaker’s suggestion, continued on page 7 more on page 7 Two women enter Sabarimala, Pak ultras training for 26 MPs suspended from LS for 5 sittings spark violent protests in Kerala ‘underwater’ strikes tribune News Service BJP, CPM cadre clash; Call for state-wide shutdown today Will ensure they don’t enter India: Rajnath Sabarimala, January 2 Cloaked in black veils and shrouded in early morning darkness, two women of menstruating age group made history today when they stepped into the Sabarimala temple of Lord Ayyappa, breaking a centuries-old tradition defying threats from the Hindu right. This triggered violent protests across Kerala by the BJP and Hindu right outfits, with the state secretariat turning into a veritable war zone for nearly five hours as the ruling CPM and workers of the saffron party clashed. Police used water cannons and burst teargas shells to bring the situation under control. Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan’s effigy was burnt at Malappuram and four activists of the BJP’s Mahila Morcha were arrested when they forced their way close to the Chief Minister’s office in the secretariat complex. The two women — Kanakadurga and Bindu — aged 44 and 42, stepped into the hallowed precincts guarded by Smita Sharma Tribune News Service Policemen corner a protester during clashes over the entry of two women inside the Sabarimala temple, in Thiruvananthapuram. PTI police three months after the Supreme Court’s historic judgment lifting the ban on entry of girls and women between 10 and 50 years of age into the shrine of Lord Ayyappa. The duo, draped in black and their faces covered in veils, entered the temple at 3,38 am and were whisked away from the temple by police soon after “darshan”. The head priest shut doors to the sanctum sanctorum and performed a “purification” ritual for an hour before the doors were opened again. The Sabarimala Karma Samithi, an umbrella organisation of pro-Hindutva groups, and Antarrashtriya Hindu Parishad (AHP) have called for a state-wide shutdown on Thursday, when the Congress-led UDF said it would observe a “black day”. Women’s rights activist Trupti Desai said: “This is a big victory for our agitation. A victory of equality... This is a good beginning for women in the New Year." — PTI New Delhi, January 2 The Ministry of Home Affairs, in a written response in the Rajya Sabha, today said Pakistan terror groups were preparing to launch operatives through sea routes. “As per available inputs, Pakistan-based terrorist organisations have exhorted its cadres for ‘Samundari Jihad’ against India,” MoS Home Affairs Hansraj Ahir said. He was responding to a question whether the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) had planned a 26/11-type terror strike on ports, cargo and oil tankers on high seas. In response, Ahir said there was no specific input about any such plan. “However, available inputs indicate that Pakistan-based terrorist groups continue to train their cadres for underwater strike capabilities in a bid to infiltrate them into India by sea/ waterways,” the MoS said. “All steps are being taken to ensure that terrorists do No IS in Valley On the presence of Islamic State (IS) in the Valley, the MHA said nothing had been established on the ground that IS was operating in any part of Kashmir. “However, Ansar Gazwat-Ul-Hind (AGUH) formed and led by Zakir Musa (former Hizbul-Mujahideen militant) has posted adverse material on the social media. There are reports that Musa has the support of less than 10 militants” not enter India through sea routes,” Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said at a briefing later, a day after PM Narendra Modi in his first interview of 2019 said talks with Islamabad were possible but for that cross-border terrorism must stop. The House was informed that of the sanctioned 340 km of fence along the India-Pakistan border at Banaskantha, Patan and Kutch in Gujarat, work had been completed along 280 km of stretch so far. Dutt’s ‘do bigha zameen’ back after 14 long years High Court orders Islampur land, acquired for a sector in Gurgaon, be released to villagers Saurabh Malik Tribune News Service Chandigarh, January 2 For Sunil Dutt and other residents of Islampur village in Gurgaon, it is justice at last. More than 14 years after their land was acquired, they have succeeded in getting back their nearly “do bigha zameen”. Acting on a bunch of contempt petitions by Dutt and other landowners against Haryana Additional Chief Secretary Deepinder Singh Dhesi and other respondents, the Punjab and Haryana High Court has directed the appro- priate authority to release the land. “In case, the needful is not done, the present contempt petitions shall automatically be revived,” Justice Nirmaljit Kaur has ruled. The petitioners had told the court their land was acquired vide notification dated November 27, 2003, issued under Section 4 of the Land Acquisition Act followed by another notification dated November 24, 2004, under Section 6 of the Act for developing a residential, commercial and institutional sector in Gurgaon. But their land was found falling in another sector as per the layout plan. Some landowners filed a petition challenging the acquisition proceedings following which the High Court in October 2013, directed the respondents to re-determine their claim for land release. The release of the land was, subsequently, recommended in August 2014 on the ground that the notifications had not mentioned the sector in Gurgaon. Counsel for the petitioners argued that their land, which was similarly located, was also liable to be released. A demand notice was sent to the respondents, but action was not initiated. Disposing of the petition, a Division Bench, in May 2016, directed the respondentState to take a decision on the demand notice by passing a speaking order after giving an opportunity of hearing to the petitioners within three months. As the petition alleging noncompliance of the order came up for hearing before Justice Nirmaljit Kaur’s Bench, a compliance report by way of an affidavit was filed, claiming that a speaking order had been passed in July 2018. The Bench was told that the Today’s issue is of 26 pages, including six-page Chandigarh Tribune and four-page Life+Style. respondents had passed a letter of intent and released the land subject to certain conditions. In response, counsel for the petitioners stated that the needful had been done. In fact, they had deposited over Rs 92 lakh but the respondents had not passed the final order for releasing the land. Before parting with the order, Justice Nirmaljit Kaur made it clear that interest towards the amount deposited by the petitioners in compliance of the conditions would be borne by the officer concerned, if the needful was not done. New Delhi, January 2 Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan today named 26 MPs of the AIADMK and the TDP for causing grave disorder in the House and suspended them for five consecutive sittings. The AIADMK members were in the Well for most part of the day, protesting Karnataka’s move to construct a dam over the Cauvery in Megadatu and were demanding the Centre’s intervention in the matter. The Speaker suspended 24 AIADMK members for constant sloga- neering, flinging of papers and constant disruption of proceedings during the debate on the Rafale deal in the House. After the suspension AIADMK MPs walked in a procession through Parliament, saying protesting was their democratic right. more on page 7
The Tribune, now published from Chandigarh, started publication on February 2, 1881, in Lahore (now in Pakistan). It was started by Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, a public-spirited philanthropist, and is run by a trust comprising four eminent persons as trustees.
The Tribune, the largest selling daily in North India, publishes news and views without any bias or prejudice of any kind. Restraint and moderation, rather than agitational language and partisanship, are the hallmarks of the paper. It is an independent newspaper in the real sense of the term.
The English edition apart, the 133-year-old Tribune has two sister publications, Punjabi Tribune (in Punjabi) and Dainik Tribune (in Hindi).