20012023-TTC-01.qxd 1/20/2023 12:40 AM Page 1 13 CHANDIGARH | GURUGRAM | JALANDHAR | BATHINDA | VOL. 7 NO. 20 | 16 PAGES | ~5.00 | REGD. NO. CHD/0006/2021-2023 ESTABLISHED IN 1881 INDIA EXTENDS $40 MN AID TO MALDIVES FOR SPORTS INFRA NATION /thetribunechd MICROSOFT TO INVEST NEW ZEALAND PM ARDERN ~16K CR IN HYDERABAD QUITS AHEAD OF OCT CENTRES BUSINESS ELECTIONS WORLD DAYS AFTER RAJOURI ATTACK, BAN ON GUN LICENCES GOES J&K friday | 20 january 2023 /thetribunechd www.tribuneindia.com Colonial mindset: MEA slams BBC documentary on Guj riots A FIRST FOR ARMY 108 women to hold command posts Sees agenda behind propaganda |Well-researched, says broadcaster Tribune News Service New Delhi, January 19 The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has criticised the BBC documentary on the 2002 Gujarat riots, describing it as a “propaganda piece” designed to push a particular “discredited narrative”. “The bias, lack of objectivity and continuing colonial mindset are blatantly visible,” said Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Arindam Bagchi at a media briefing today in reply to several questions on the first part of documentary “India: The Modi Question” that deals with the riots that broke out in Gujarat when Narendra Modi was the Chief Minister. The MEA also SUNAK DEFENDS PM MODI BIAS, LACK OF OBJECTIVITY BLATANTLY VISIBLE: MEA London: UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has come out in defence of the Indian PM over the controversial BBC documentary. To a query by Pakistan-origin MP Imran Hussain in the House of Commons, Sunak said: “Of course, we do not tolerate persecution anywhere, but I am not sure that I agree at all with the characterisation that the honourable gentleman has put forward.” New Delhi: MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said it was a “propaganda piece designed to push a particular discredited narrative”. “The bias, the lack of objectivity and a continuing colonial mindset are blatantly visible.... I heard words like investigation and inquiry. What inquiry, investigation, are they ruling the country? They were diplomats here,” said Bagchi. made light of the then British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw’s comments that an investigation by the British government had con- cluded that as CM, Modi had “proactively” prevented the police from stopping riots. “Investigation? Inquiry?” asked Bagchi, going on to No talks till Pak shuns terror: MEA on Sharif’s offer New Delhi: Reacting to Pakistan PM Shehbaz Sharif’s conditional offer for talks, India said it always wanted normal neighbourly relations with Pakistan, but there should be an atmosphere free from terror and violence for such ties. In the first official comments on the matter, Arindam Bagchi, spokesperson, Ministry of External Affairs, continued on page 12 wonder whether the British were ruling India that they conducted an inquiry. The documentary has been taken continued on page 12 INDIA BEAT WALES 4-2 But fail to top pool |Will play NZ in crossover for place in last 8 A below-par India beat tournament debutants Wales in the final pool match but failed to qualify directly for quarterfinals GOALS: Shamsher Singh (21st min) | Akashdeep (32nd & 45th) | Harmanpreet (59th) England qualify for quarterfinals Want WFI disbanded | Sports Minister assures of action at late-night meet Vinayak Padmadeo Tribune News Service Vinesh Phogat & Bajrang Punia at a press meet in New Delhi. MR BHUI New Delhi, January 19 Indian wrestlers have upped the ante against Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh after their talks with the Sports Ministry failed. Late in the evening, Sports Minister Anurag Thakur rushed back to Delhi from Hamirpur to hold talks with the wrestlers. He assured them 7 KHAPS BACK WRESTLERS Seven khaps in Charkhi Dadri will march to Delhi on Friday to express solidarity with wrestlers. of “action if anyone is found guilty”. Earlier in the day, several wrestlers, including Vinesh Phogat, Bajrang Punia, Sakshi Malik, Ravi Dahiya and Deepak Punia, said they would file an FIR and, if need be, approach the court to press their sexual Latifpura demolition throws up shady land deals; FIR against 4 Hold 10 fake registries| No mention of khasra nos. HC disposes of contempt plea Deepkamal Kaur Tribune News Service Jalandhar, January 19 Acting tough against four alleged victims of the December 9 Latifpura demolition drive, the Jalandhar administration has got an FIR registered against them for allegedly procuring fake registries of land in the locality. Those booked are Dinesh Dhir, a former councillor from Sultanpur Lodhi, Ramesh Dhir, Rakesh Kumar and Lakhwinder Kumar. A case under Sections 420 and 120-B of the IPC and 82 of the Registration Act has been lodged at the New Baradari police station. Sources said the four held 10 fake registries executed between 2006 and 2013 without any khasra number. It has also come to light that of 241 marla land freed of encroachment by the Jalandhar Improvement Trust (JIT) continued on page 12 Latifpura residents protest. FILE PROBE FINDINGS ■ Investigation points out land sharks encroached upon major portion of Latifpura ■ Of 241 marla freed by Jalandhar trust, 132 marla owned by 2 persons and their kin ■ Dinesh Dhir owned 92 marla, MS Bajwa 40 marla, confirms JIT chairman Chandigarh, January 19 More than a decade after the Punjab and Haryana High Court made it clear that nobody could be allowed to “retain the government land in illegal possession by way of encroachment”, a Bench hearing a contempt plea in the matter has been told that directions have been complied with. The contention has, however, been disputed by the petitioners, who had moved the High Court way back in 2006 for the issuance of directions to the Punjab Government and other respondents to remove encroachments in the Latifpura area by demolishing unauthorised constructions from the 120-ftwide road existing in the development scheme of 110 continued on page 12 harassment allegations against the WFI chief. “We never wanted to turn it into a legal matter. All we wanted was to meet them (PM Modi or Home Minister Amit Shah). I dare the president to sit across me and tell me that our accusations are untrue. If we are forced, we will file an FIR,” Vinesh said during the second day of continued on page 12 edit: sack wrestling chief IN BRIEF DCW chief molested, dragged by drunk driver NEW DELHI: DCW head Swati Maliwal on Thursday alleged she was molested by a drunk man, who also dragged her by his car for 15 metres. INSIDE SC refuses to stay NCLAT order against Google NEW DELHI: The SC has refused to entertain Google’s plea against an NCLAT direction refusing to stay the CCI’s order imposing a ~1,337 crore penalty on it. INSIDE AI imposes 4-month flying ban on Mishra NEW DELHI: Air India on Thursday imposed a four-month flying ban on Shankar Mishra, who is accused of urinating on a woman co-passenger last year. TNS SC reserves order on Ashish’s bail plea NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Thursday reserved its order on the bail plea of Ashish Mishra, an accused in the Lakhimpur Kheri case. TNS Cracks in houses, Mandi S’pore flight leaves behind villagers blame hill-cutting 30 at Amritsar airport Dipender Manta Tribune News Service Mandi, January 19 After the subsidence tragedy in Uttarakhand’s Joshimath, there is a wake-up call for neighbouring Himachal Pradesh where houses have developed cracks in two villages of Mandi district following alleged non-scientific cutting of hills for road expansion. The houses—in Tuanal and Shalanal villages of Bhatwari Cracks developed in the houses at Tuanal & Shalanal villages in Mandi. panchayat under Balichowki subdivision—are located on the hills adjoining the continued on page 12 Amritsar/New Delhi, Jan 19 Close on the heels of a Go First plane flying from Bengaluru to Delhi without over 50 passengers who were left behind in a coach at the airport, a similar incident occurred in Amritsar on Wednesday as a Singapore-bound Scoot flight took off leaving nearly 30 passengers behind. This triggered a chaos at the Amritsar airport with angry passengers staging a protest. Takes off ahead of schedule; DGCA seeks report After the airport authorities contacted the airline officials, they were told that the “passengers had been informed about the change in flight timings via e-mail”. “More than 280 passengers were to travel to Singapore, but the plane took off with 253 flyers, leaving nearly continued on page 12 FIRST SET OF POSTINGS BY MONTH-END ■ 244 women Lt Colonels were considered for promotion against 108 vacancies by the selection board earlier this month ■ Till now, there have been no women commanding officers in mainstream units of Army tion board from January 9 onwards at the Army headquarters to select Lt Colonels who could be promoted. A total of 244 women officers were considered for promotion against 108 vacancies. Women officers are allowed in continued on page 12 Collegium junks objections to Kirpal’s appointment Reiterates names for appointment in Madras, Bombay High Courts Satya Prakash Protesting wrestlers threaten to move court New Delhi, January 19 In a first for the Indian Army, 108 women officers have been promoted as Colonel and will be assigned command posts. They will lead units, just as their male counterparts do upon attaining the rank of Colonel. In the armed forces, the rank of Colonel and above are selection posts, all officers don’t make the cut. Sources said the selection board found 108 women officers “fit for command assignments”. The first set of such postings would be issued by the end of this month. The Army had held a selec- Tribune News Service New Delhi, January 19 In a fresh round of confrontation with the Centre, the Supreme Court Collegium has rejected the Centre’s objections to the proposed elevation of senior advocate Saurabh Kirpal, an openly gay person, as a judge of the Delhi High Court and reiter- Second reiteration for two candidatesinCalcuttaHC ated its recommendations for four other appointments. Maintaining that Kirpal’s appointment would “add value to the Bench and provide inclusion and diversity,” the Collegium has reiterated its November 11, 2021, recommen- dation for his appointment. “The fact that Mr Saurabh Kirpal has been open about his orientation is a matter which goes to his credit. As a prospective candidate for judgeship, he has not been surreptitious about his orientation. In view of the constitutionally recognised rights which the candidate espouses, it would be manifestly contrary to the constitutional principles laid down by the Supreme Court to reject his candidature on that ground,” a three-judge Collegium led by Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud said. Brushing aside the IB reports, the Collegium reiterated its recommendations for appointment of advocate continued on page 12
The Tribune, now published from Chandigarh, started publication on February 2, 1881, in Lahore (now in Pakistan). It was started by Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, a public-spirited philanthropist, and is run by a trust comprising four eminent persons as trustees.
The Tribune, the largest selling daily in North India, publishes news and views without any bias or prejudice of any kind. Restraint and moderation, rather than agitational language and partisanship, are the hallmarks of the paper. It is an independent newspaper in the real sense of the term.
The English edition apart, the 133-year-old Tribune has two sister publications, Punjabi Tribune (in Punjabi) and Dainik Tribune (in Hindi).