19052026-JTR-01.qxd 5/18/2026 10:47 PM Page 1 c m y b Jalandhar tribune ROADWAYS WORKERS ANNOUNCE CHAKKA JAM FROM MAY 25–27 STUDENTS GO EXTRA MILE, BEAT ODDS TO SUPPORT FAMILIES SOPHIE CHOUDRY KEEPS IT REAL The union also announced plans to gherao the Chief Minister’s residence during the agitation. P2 Despite the demanding routine, Aman continues to balance his studies and recently secured 71% in his Class XII.P3 With Famously Fit with Sophieon MX Player, the singer-host blends workouts & candid conversations. P4 » » » FORECAST MAINLY CLEAR MAX 40°C | MIN 26°C YESTERDAY MAX 42°C | MIN 25°C SUNSET TUESDAY 7.19 PM SUNRISE WEDNESDAY 5:28 AM TUESDAY | 19 MAY 2026 | JALANDHAR HEALTH & WELLNESS The Tribune is starting a Q and A column to address your health-related queries. Please mail your questions (not exceeding 40 words) at healthandwellness@tribunemail.com. The Tribune’s panel of doctors will answer all your healthrelated concerns. Century-old Kapurthala hospitals face demolition Activists, MLA seek halt |CM forwards plea, officials cite approved plans Aparna Banerji Tribune News Service INBRIEF THIEVES DECAMP WITH CASH, GOLD Phagwara: Thieves struck at a house in Baba Balak Nath, Kathehra Chowk of Phagwara, and decamped with cash and gold ornaments worth lakhs of rupees while the family was away to immerse the ashes of a relative at Kiratpur Sahib. Victim Ramandeep Singh said the family had gone to Kiratpur Sahib to perform the last rites of his brother-in-law. On returning home, they found the locks of the cupboards broken and household articles scattered inside the house. They discovered that around Rs 1.5 lakh and nearly five tolas of gold ornaments had been stolen. The matter was reported to the police, following which officials reached the spot and initiated an investigation into the theft. oc 4 BOOKED FOR SNATCHING ~2K Phagwara: The police have booked four miscreants on the charge of snatching Rs 20,000. The accused have been identified as Akash Gill of Mohalla Minaran, Nakodar, Amrit Pal of Pati Purewal Shankar village, Gagan Deep of Pati Taklhar Shankar village and Gurpreet of Chack Muglanni village. Sonu of Mohalla Guru Nanakpura, Nakodar, complained to the police that the accused waylaid him on May 15 near the Kapurthala chowk, attacked him and snatched Rs 20,000. OC Jalandhar, May 18 Just a year before it would have completed 100 years (in 2027), the 99-year-old Randhir Jagatjit Civil Hospital and the 89-year-old Lady Linlithgow Tuberculosis Hospital in Kapurthala are facing demolition, with little hope of reprieve for the twin heritage structures built during the Maharaja Jagatjit Singh era. On Monday, heritage lovers and activists, along with Kapurthala MLA Rana Gurjit Singh, met the Deputy Commissioner, urging him to halt the demolition. A portion of the historic hospital complex has already been razed. Later in the evening, Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann forwarded the representation of the activists to the Principal Secretary, Health, for necessary action, offering a glimmer of hope to those seeking to preserve the buildings. During the meeting, however, the DC informed the delegation that the building plans had already been approved and the tendering process The heritage building of Randhir Jagatjit Hospital, Kapurthala. completed. He said revising the project or identifying alternative land for the proposed medical college would be a lengthy process. As such, the heritage buildings would have to be demolished. In a letter submitted to the DC, the activists termed the move “arbitrary” and said demolishing the structures would amount to erasing the region’s architectural legacy. “The decision to demolish the Randhir Jagatjit Civil Hospital is nothing less than robbing the state of a landmark. We oppose this act of losing our heritage,” the letter read. The copies of the letter have also been sent to the Prime Minister, Punjab Governor, Chief Minister, Chief Secretary and Chief Justice of India. Activist and advocate Amarjit Singh said, “The DC has expressed reservations on the stalling of demolitions but the CM has forwarded our email request to the Secretary, health, for requisite action this evening. We are yet hopeful for an intervention to save the buildings.” MLA Rana Gurjit Singh said although he had long supported the establishment of a medical college, he was also keen on preserving the heritage structures. “The project has been planned for years, but the administration has assured them that the façade of the new building will reflect the heritage architecture,” he said. SDO Gurbachan Singh said, “The demolition is stalled as of now. The map of the new building was passed in 2021 and even tendering has been done. Its difficult to change plans. The future status of the project will be as per the proposal following the meeting of activists and the DC.” Summer shield MAN HELD FOR SEXUAL ABUSE Phagwara: The police have arrested a villager for sexually harassing a minor. The accused has been identified as Harjindar Pal, alias Gullu, a resident of Sahem village. The father of the victim complained to the police that the accused called his minor daughter to his house on the pretext of giving toffies and sexually harassed her. A case under the POSCO Act has been registered . OC TWO ARRESTED UNDER NDPS ACT Phagwara: The Mehatpur police have arrested two persons on the charge of selling intoxicating tablets. As many as 84 tablets were recovered from the possession of the accused Harish Kumar of Khehra Mushtarka village and another person of Gounsuwal village. A case under the NDPS Act have been registered against the accused. oc Hoshiarpur, May 18 District Election Officer-cumDC Aashika Jain on Sunday held a meeting with representatives of various political parties to review preparations for the Special Intensive Revision (SIR) of electoral rolls being launched in Punjab by the Election Commission of India. She said as per the schedule issued by the Election Commission, Booth Level Officers (BLOs) will conduct door-todoor visits from June 25 to July 24 to get prescribed forms filled by voters across the district. The Deputy Commissioner clarified that filling the forms provided by BLOs would be mandatory for all voters under the SIR process. Aashika Jain further stated that training of BLOs and other preparatory work would be completed between June 15 and June 24. Under the preSIR mapping exercise, mapping of 11,14,487 voters out of the district’s total 12,68,522 voters has already been completed, covering 87.86 per cent of the electorate. She said rationalisation of polling stations would be completed by July 24, while the draft voter list would be published on July 31. — OC Nawanshahr achieves 88% voter verification THREE BOOKED FOR DOWRY Phagwara: The police have charged Harpreet, a resident of Rajput village in Kapurthala, his father Satnam Singh, mother Kulwindar Kaur with harassing his wife Ramdeep Kaur Barra Sidhpur village in Nakodar. She had complained to the SSP that she was being tortured for dowry since her marriage. A case under Section 498-A (torturing woman for dowry) has been registered against the accused. OC Door-to-door verification by BLOs from June 25 Girls take cover under umbrellas amid intense heat in Jalandhar on Monday. TRIBUNE PHOTO: MALKIAT SINGH Nawanshahr, May 18 Nawanshahr DC Gulpreet Singh Aulakh today said the district has secured the 7th rank in Punjab for pre-SIR activities, successfully verifying 88 per cent of the electorate. Addressing a press conference following an all-party meeting, Aulakh confirmed that the formal Special Intensive Revision (SIR) of electoral rolls will commence on June 25 and continue till July 24. To ensure a transparent process, the district administration has deployed 615 Booth Level Officers (BLOs) along with 62 supervisors, overseen by three Electoral Registration Officers and three Assistant Electoral Registration Officers. — TNS Class VI–VIII students to get 10 bagless days SanjivKumar Bakshi Hoshiarpur, May18 In a major step towards making education more engaging and stress-free, the State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT), Punjab, has announced the implementation of 10 bagless days for students of Classes 6 to 8 in all government schools across the state, excluding PM Shri Schools, during the academic session 2026-27. The initiative aims to transform the traditional learning environment by reducing rote learning and encouraging creativity, experiential learning and skill development among students. Under the programme, students will participate in activities focused on social emotional learning (SEL), experiential education and out-of-class exposure instead of regular textbook-based studies. SCERT officials said the initiative is designed to nurture 21st-century skills, increase students’ interest in Students with school bags. FOR REPRESENTATION ONLY different subjects and provide a more holistic educational experience. The SCERT has also released a detailed activity calendar covering the period from May 2026 to February 2027. Activities planned for May to July include language-based entertainment programmes such as role plays, poetry recitations and exhibitions of holiday homework. During August and September, students will engage in mathematical games and a special “student-teacher” activity on Teacher’s Day. In October and November, schools will organise social science exhibitions, waste management workshops and Children’s Day celebrations. The final phase, from December to February, will feature spark sessions on cyber security and environ- c m y b mental awareness, sciencebased activities, and educational visits to historical places. The bagless days will begin with special morning assemblies and mindfulness exercises, followed by creative sessions such as the “Be Nature” activity, where students will imagine themselves as part of nature and prepare posters and messages on environmental themes. School heads have been instructed to appoint nodal teachers to coordinate the activities and maintain proper records in a dedicated register. Reports and photographs of all activities will have to be submitted to the headquarters by March 31, 2027. Education experts believe the initiative will not only contribute to students’ academic growth, but also help in shaping them into responsible and socially aware citizens. Retired teacher Niraj Dhiman praised the government and SCERT for introducing the “bagless days” initiative, saying that the move would help students learn beyond textbooks and develop practical understanding along with creativity. “This is a welcome step towards making education enjoyable and meaningful. Such activities will reduce academic pressure on children and encourage confidence, communication skills, and social awareness among students,” he said. Panchayats give ultimatum over BDPO office hall Our Correspondent Phagwara, May 18 Panchayats of Phagwara block on Monday issued a 10day ultimatum to the authorities to begin construction of a hall at the BDPO office otherwise they would launch an agitation. The decision was taken during an emergency meeting of panchayats held at the local BDPO office, where the issue of inadequate seating arrangements for sarpanchs and panchs visiting the office was discussed. Addressing mediapersons after the meeting, Narendra Singh, Sarpanch of Madhopur, Ranjit Ram Kaler, Sarpanch of Nangal Majha, Kulwinder Singh Kala, Sarpanch of Athouli, and Agiyapal Singh, Panch of Khalwara, alleged that despite the department having a fund of Rs 15 lakh for the construction of the hall, the work has not been initiated so far. The delay has triggered widespread resentment among sarpanchs and panchs of the block. Representatives stated that during the scorching summer season, sarpanchs and panchs visiting the BDPO office for village development-related works are forced to face inconvenience due to the absence of proper seating arrangements. They alleged that on many occasions, the officials concerned are not present in the office and visitors are left waiting for long hours without any place to sit. Nominees flag civic issues at SBS Nagar Tribune News Service Nawanshahr, May 18 The elections to the Municipal Councils of Nawanshahr, Rahon and Banga are scheduled to be held on May 26. According to Additional District Election Officer Avneet Kaur, polling will be conducted for 19 wards in Municipal Council, Nawanshahr, 13 wards in Municipal Council, Rahon, and 15 wards in Municipal Council, Banga, taking the total number of wards to 47 across SBS Nagar. Among the prominent candidates who filed their nomination papers was former Shiromani Akali Dal councillor Param Singh Khalsa, contesting from Ward No. 3 in Nawanshahr. Interacting with mediapersons, Khalsa raised several civic issues affecting residents of the town. He alleged that the sewerage system in several localities had collapsed, contaminated drinking water was being supplied in some areas and sanitation arrangements had deteriorated. “The sewer system has failed in many parts of the ward. Residents are receiving dirty water and sanitation workers are not reaching several localities, including Mohalla Kalam and Barnala areas,” Khalsa alleged, promising to address these con- cerns, if elected. Interestingly, Khalsa will face his long-time friend Raj Kumar, who is contesting from the same ward as a Congress candidate. Despite being political rivals in the election, both leaders said their personal relationship would remain unaffected. “Even if we have to campaign in the same locality together, we will continue to respect each other. We will ask for votes for our parties, and it is up to the people to decide whom they want to support,” said Khalsa, while Raj Kumar echoed similar sentiments. Meanwhile, veteran leader Chetram, who recently joined the BJP after spending decades with the Congress, announced that he would file his nomination papers from Ward No. 15 on May 15. Chetram said he was committed to ensuring the welfare and development of residents and would focus on improving civic amenities in the ward. Apart from candidates representing major political parties, several independent candidates have also entered the electoral fray, indicating a competitive contest in many wards. Political activities in the district have intensified as candidates have begun outreach campaigns ahead of the polling date.
The Tribune, now published from Chandigarh, started publication on February 2, 1881, in Lahore (now in Pakistan). It was started by Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, a public-spirited philanthropist, and is run by a trust comprising four eminent persons as trustees.
The Tribune, the largest selling daily in North India, publishes news and views without any bias or prejudice of any kind. Restraint and moderation, rather than agitational language and partisanship, are the hallmarks of the paper. It is an independent newspaper in the real sense of the term.
The English edition apart, the 133-year-old Tribune has two sister publications, Punjabi Tribune (in Punjabi) and Dainik Tribune (in Hindi).